OGS history from dal 1753 to 1817.
Empress Maria Theresa of Habsburg asks the Jesuit Fathers to set up a school to meet the needs of increases in traffic after the proclamation of the Free Port in 1719. In the spring of 1754, the School of Astronomy and Navigation is established in Trieste on the site of the College in what is now Via del Collegio 2, near the church of S. Maria Maggiore. The first director is the Jesuit Father Francesco Saverio Orlando da Fiume.
Pope Clement XIV suppresses the Society of Jesus. The school is closed and Francis Xavier Orlando moves to Rijeka and founds a similar institution there, although not openly Jesuit.
The political situation changes and the Nautical School is founded in the Palazzo Civico on the Piazza Grande under the guidance of Father Luigi Capuano.
During the Napoleonic period the School is annexed to the Lyceum, following the French school system.