Name: Stefania Gentili
Born in Pisa on 19th June 1969
Laurea degree in Physics at the University of Pisa on 11th July 1995
Ph.D. in Computer Science at the University of Udine on 24th May 2003
1996-1997: Research fellow at the Astronomical Observatory of Teramo
1997-2003: Research fellow/Ph.D. student/Research Associate at the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science of the University of Udine
2003-2007: Research Associate at the Istituto Nazionale di Oceanografia e di Geofisica Sperimentale
2007-2010: Researcher at the Istituto Nazionale di Oceanografia e di Geofisica Sperimentale
2010-: Researcher (permanent position) at the Istituto Nazionale di Oceanografia e di Geofisica Sperimentale
- Author and co-author of papers on international journals and on books in the field of astrophysics, image analysis, artificial intelligence and seismology
- She acted as reviewer for international journals: "IEEE Transactions on System, Man and Cybernetics", "Digital Signal Processing", "Journal of Seismology", "Geophysical Journal International", "Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors", "Bulletin of Seismological Society of America" "Seismological Research Letters", " Tectonophysics", “Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth”, “Bollettino di Geofisica Teorica e Applicata”, “Pure and Applied Geophysics “,“Acta Geophysica”.
- Participation at national research projects funded by the Italian government and at international projects funded by EU and by international astronomical observatory. Collaboration contract with SISSA (International School for Advanced Studies), Trieste.
- Convenor for the Statistical Seismology session at European Geosciences Union General Assembly from 2016 and on 2018 and 2021 at General Assembly of the European Seismological Commission – ESC.
- From 2017, she is the chairperson of the Scientific Council of the department Seismological Research Center (CRS) of OGS and, from 2018, co-responsible of the group “Structure and Seismicity” of CRS.
Actual research interests
- Temporal evolution of seismicity, both regarding seismic sequences and the general seismicity
- Evaluation and study of source parameters
- Instrumental seismic catalogues
- Artificial intelligence and statistical methods applied to seismology (machine learning and statistical seismology).